CPU usage

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Guys,

Great piece of work here. Thanks for posting it :-)

One generic question for you, and anyone else who is reading. What sort of effects do you get on processor usage etc when running the sample ?

I have created an example similar to the one posted on your blog about controlling a list box / scrollviewer, but Inotice that the usage really grows when running the code. Do you get similar large usage on your systems.. E.G Procesor time > 50%

Thanks

B...

Coordinator
Sep 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Thanks Bruce. 

Yeah, the performance issue is an odd one. Both the Kinect DTW and the scrollviewer WPF thing work well in isolation, but together they make the CPU crawl. Honestly, I haven't tried to improve the performance of either all that much. In my prototype app (not published here) I just put the scrollviewer on a separate thread. This gets around the immediate problem, but it's obviously not an ideal answer. I'll get back to the scrollviewer thing soon.

I guess it depends what you want to use this for. A closed prototype is probably ok, but for production (which, incidentally, is outside the terms of use for the Kinect SDK) wouldn't be so cool.

Cheers,

Steve

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Hi

Thanks for taking time out to respond.

I'm going to try out a few of the other examples out there using kinect and NITE drivers etc to se what happens ( time permitting ) Hopefully some sort of Augmented Reality hybrid will evolve !

by the time i finish th SDK should be free to use or we'll all be using NITE and other drivers..

Rgds..

B..

Coordinator
Sep 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM

No problem! Have you seen this?

http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/kinect/Another-Kinect-Recognizer

Another project similar to this one. It might be useful for you. It's pitched as more 'plug and play' than this one is (although I think this one is rather easy to integrate too, even though I didn't provide an example of firing events on gesture recognition).

My contacts suggests that the SDK will be free to use Q1 2012...so what's that, a full year in beta? Maybe.

Good luck. I'd love to see what you (might) use this for :)

Steve

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Hi

Drop me a mail at

bruce_dot_mcmillan_at_k3btg_dot_com

I'll fwd you a vid of a sample i knocked up.

B...